The IFPG International Franchise Professionals Group is a “membership organization” of franchise brokers. Recently, The IFPG announced that it was “proud to announce” that Davidovich NYC Bagel & Sandwich Shop is its newest franchise partner. Last week, Davidovich NYC Bagel & Sandwich Shop (aka the NY Bagel Scam) was ejected from the International Franchise Expo in New York by the show’s management and two Assistant Attorney Generals. Are IFPG members still promoting the NY Bagel Scam? Has the IFPG taken any steps to share UnhappyFranchisee.com’s & NYBagelScam.com’s extensive reporting on the dangers of this fraudulent franchise offering with its members and their clients?
(UnhappyFranchisee.Com) UPDATE: The IFPG has announced that it has terminated the Franchise Partner status of Davidovich NYC Bagel & Sandwich Shop. Read the updated story here:
Franchise brokers bill themselves as “consultants” whose expert franchise guidance is free to franchise opportunity seekers and who are compensated by the supposedly legitimate franchisors who pay them commissions ($20K – $30K on average, some claim).
It would seem that diligent, professional advisors who truly care about the welfare of the individuals and families they are advising would regularly follow sites like UnhappyFranchisee.Com and BlueMauMau.org that contain hype-free, uncensored opinions and insights from actual franchise investors and owners. These sites also provide critical insights into franchise closures, lawsuits and turnover rates that could help franchise advisors prevent their advisees from investing in a high-failure franchise or even an outright scam.
This type of ongoing research would seem especially important to a “membership organization” such as the International Franchise Professionals Group (IFPG) who train franchise brokers and provide “franchise partners” one would assume would be screened and vetted.
IFPG is Proud to Announce its Newest Franchise Partner: “Davidovich NYC Bagel & Sandwich Shop”
IFPG recently issued this internal announcement:
IFPG is proud to announce its newest franchise partner: Davidovich NYC Bagel & Sandwich Shop
Davidovich NYC Bagel & Sandwich Shop is an iconic brand that has been featured on the Jon Stewart Show, Anrew Zimmerns Bizarre Foods America, ABC News and more with additional write-ups in the Wall St. Journal and Forbes Mazazine and this spring was the “official bagel of the Coachella Music festival selling over 1000 dozen bagels in less than 90 minutes.
The brand offers Fresh Baked NY Artisan Bagels that are made in NY and Baked Fresh in your location, in addition to the bagels we have delicious bakery products that include muffins, crumb cakes, cookies, croissants and full line of breakfast sandwiches to wash all that down you have your choice of coffee cappuccino or juices. for Lunch we offer a wide variety of sandwiches, wraps and paninis, including our NY favorites the Reuben on Rye and the Chicken Breast Panini.
Location size is between 1200 to 2000 sq ft. All locations have a fun inviting vibe, like your [stet] stepping into NYC with our full length wall murals of times square, pictures of NYC Landmarks and subway signs. Great Bagel. Great Place. Great Franchise.
IFPG Partner & IFE Neighbor is Ejected From the NY Franchise Expo for Fraudulent Franchise Documents
It now appears that IFPG’s newest franchise partner Davidovich NYC Bagel & Sandwich Shop is just the newest variation of the NY Bagel Scam which has been promoted in the past as NY Bagel Cafe & Deli and NYC Bagel & Sandwich Shop.
Run by Joe Smith, Dennis Mason & new addition Davidovich’s Marc Fintz, Davidovich NYC Bagel & Sandwich Shop is, in essence, a Craig’s List-based franchise fee collection scheme. 90% of those who pay a fee never open a bagel shop not get their fee refunded. More than 90% of the few who managed to open failed within a few months to a few years.
Smith & Mason’s deceptive sales tactics and violations of franchise disclosure laws have been documented in state enforcement actions issued by Maryland, Virginia and Washington.
They’re many franchise failures have been documented by Unhappy Franchisee:
When International Franchise Expo (IFE) head Tom Portesy was alerted to exhibitor Davidovich NYC Bagel’s misrepresentations, he determined, with investigative direction from Assistant District Attorneys from New York and Maryland (who were speakers at the show), IFG Partner and Expo neighbor Davidovich NYC Bagel & Sandwich Shop was ejected from the show.
Read about it here:
Questions for IFPG Leadership & Members
- What is the criteria for becoming a “Franchise Partner” of the IFPG?
- What is the review & screening process?
- Is any independent research done or do you rely solely on the franchisor’s representations?
- Who makes the final decision as to whether a franchisor is eligible to become an IFPG “Franchise Partner”
- Has the IFPG leadership or its members read any of the 50+ posts on UF regarding the NY Bagel Scam over the past 6 years, such as…?
- Has the IFPG leadership or its members read any of the posts on the NY Bagel Scam website?
- Did no one run across this article on BlueMauMau.org: NYC Bagel Scam Reveals Franchising’s Dark & Dangerous Secret ?
- Did you see the enforcement order issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia?
- Did you see the enforcement order issued by the state of Maryland?
- Did you see the enforcement order issued by the state of Washington?
- Did you review a Franchise Disclosure Document (FDD) for Davidovich NYC Bagel & Sandwich Shop?
- Did you check to see if the franchisor was registered in the home state of Davidovich Bakery, New York?
- Now that you watched them get ejected from the International Franchise Expo (IFE) for improper disclosure, will you be continuing your partnership with and promoting the Davidovich NYC Bagel & Sandwich Shop franchise opportunity?
- Have you alerted your 800 members about the controversy and sent them these links?
- Will the Davidovich NYC Bagel & Sandwich Shop controversy, including you acceptance of a long-time fee-collection scam as a “franchise partner,” inspire you to rethink and/or improve your franchise vetting process?
- Did ANY of your 800 franchise consultant experts voice concern when you proudly announced your partnership with the NYC Davidovich Bagel & Sandwich Shop franchise?
INVITATION TO IFPG LEADERSHIP & MEMBERS: It is our opinion that the IFPG partnership with a known and proven scam artist does a disservice to legitimate franchisors (including IFPG franchise partners), your members, and especially to the franchise buyers who rely on IFPG brokers for trustworthy guidance. However, we are open to alternative viewpoints and interpretations. We invite & welcome explanations, clarifications, rebuttals, and opinions both from IFPG leadership, staff, members and franchise partners.
We are especially interested in hearing which brokers and groups are willing to commit to spreading the word about the risks associated with the Davidovich NYC Bagel & Sandwich Shop and its variations.
ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH THE NY BAGEL, NYC BAGEL OR DAVIDIVICH BAGEL SCAM? HAVE YOU DEALT WITH DENNIS MASON, JOE SMITH OR MARC FINTZ (OR MARC ZIROGIANNIS)? SHARE A COMMENT BELOW.
TAGS: IFPG, International Franchise Professionals Group, Don Daszkowski, Red Boswell, Davidovich NYC Bagel & Sandwich Shop, Davidovich bakery, Davidovich Bagels, Davidovich franchise, NY Bagel Cafe, NYC Bagel franchise, Joe Smith, Dennis Mason, Marc Fintz, Marc Zirogiannis